History of the Lava Hot Springs Area
For years people have gathered at the springs to bathe, rest and worship. Many people believe that there are curative properties associated with the hot mineral water and refer to the Springs as "the healing waters" It is rumored that long ago the Springs were neutral ground and shared in peace by all.
Once part of the original Fort Hall reservation, the springs and land were part of a treaty agreement between the Indians and the US Government in the late 1800's. The federal government purchased the springs and land, approximately 178 acres including the springs.
A 1902 act granted the lands to the State of Idaho to be held by the State for public use. Later all rights to the operation, management, control, maintenance and improvement of the lands and property were vested in the Lava Hot Springs Foundation, an agency within the Idaho Dept. of Parks & Recreation.
The South Bannock County
Lava Hot Springs Railroad Depot
This exhibit at the South
Bannock County Historical Center Museum tells
the story of the Shoshone-Bannock people and
Lava Hot Springs.